Over the years, EBT has become increasingly popular. It might also be a question for you whether Safeway accepts EBT and how it works. Find out here!
In 1915, Marion Skaggs founded Safeway, a chain of supermarkets of American origin. Besides groceries and food items, the company sells general merchandise, as well. There are currently more than 900 Safeway stores in 17 states throughout the nation.
Safeway also owns Starbucks and Deli, in addition to its own brands. Therefore, you’ll commonly see Safeway locations near Starbucks and Delis.
Now, for the most asked question “Does Safeway Take EBT?”, the answer is YES. EBT is accepted by Safeway at all of their physical stores as well as online. For the other payment methods, aside from credit/debit cards, Safeway also accepts third-party apps such as Apple Pay, PayPal, Google Pay, Afterpay, etc.
Does Safeway Take EBT in 2022?
Yes. Safeway accepts EBT in 2022. At all Safeway stores, EBT benefits are accepted. However, certain residents in some states may not have access to these benefits. To ensure you have access, contact Safeway before buying.
In case you’re wondering “Does Safeway Sell Stamps?”, you may read it here.
Does Safeway Starbucks Take EBT?
Yes. As a convenience to customers, Safeway Starbucks has added the option to use food stamps at their kiosks. However, these purchases work only at grocery stores like Starbucks and not standalone. Because Safeway does not associate with separate Starbucks, these stores cannot accept EBT as a payment method.
Does Safeway Take EBT Online?
Yes. Safeway does take EBT for in-store as well as online purchases. Also, many alternate payment methods such as debit and credit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, etc. are accepted at Safeway.
Does Safeway Bakery Take EBT?
Yes. EBT is accepted at Safeway’s bakery. However, the item that is being purchased cannot include non-edible items (such as cake decorations, etc.) that occupy more than 50% of the surface area.
Does Safeway Take EBT for Pickup Delivery?
Yes. Safeway accepts EBT for Drive-up & Go pickup orders. Customers can choose EBT as a form of payment for pickup orders.
However, for the grocery deliveries, EBT as the payment method is yet not offered.
What Items Can’t be Purchased at Safeway Store?
Any non-food items or hot prepared food items are ineligible to be purchased using EBT at Safeway stores. Here’s a list of the type of items considered ineligible.
- Alcoholic drinks (wine, beer, champagne, etc)
- Pet food
- Soap products
- Paper products
- Household supplies
- Hot food from the prepared food section
- Beauty products and cosmetics
What Items Can be Purchased at Safeway Store?
Almost all the grocery and food items can be purchased with EBT at Safeway stores. Here’s a list of the type of items eligible to be purchased with EBT.
- Bread and cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat, fish, and poultry
- Dairy products
- Seeds and edible plants
- Soft drinks
- Candy and ice cream
- Cookies and snack crackers
- Live seafood
- Energy drinks with a nutrient label
- Bakery items
- Cold prepared food items
Which Safeway Locations Accept EBT?
Safeway locations in the United States that accept EBT are as follows:
- North Pole
- Chino Valley
- San Tan Valley
- San Jose
- Daly City
- Redwood City
- San Francisco
- Denver (4 locations)
- Colorado Springs
- Fort Lupton
- Prince Frederick
- La Plata
- King City
- Cedar Mills
- Des Moines
- Mount Vernon
- Arlington (2 locations)
- Bonney Lake
- Puyallup (2 locations)
How to Use EBT Card at Safeway?
Using your EBT card is just the same as using a debit or credit card at a grocery store. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Make your way to the checkout lane with your groceries.
- Swipe your EBT card through the Point-of-Sale (POS) terminal or hand it over to the Cashier.
- On the keypad, you’ll be asked to type in your four-digit secret number (PIN). Press the ‘ENTER’ key after you’ve entered the pin.
- The purchase amount will be entered by the cashier. Press the ‘OK’ or ‘YES’ key if the amount is correct.
- On the receipt you’ll find the following information: Store name and address, amount of your purchase, and your new food stamp benefits account balance.
When you shop again next week, you will know your new balance based on your receipt.
How to Use EBT for Safeway Pickup?
For a pickup order at Safeway, here’s what you need to do.
- Locate the Safeway Pickup Location through the website.
- Choose the location where you will pick up your order by entering your zip code in the finder.
- After selecting your preferred option, you’ll be taken to the pickup
- Once you’ve selected a store, you can begin shopping.
- Put anything you need in your shopping cart (note that some items won’t qualify for EBT, so check the badge for the EBT qualify icon).
- When you have finished shopping, proceed to the checkout.
- Submit your order and choose your payment method.
- A pick-up time estimate will be given to you. Drive-Up & Go spots are available at the store once you
- Let them know you’ve arrived by calling the number on the sign.
- Your groceries will be brought to you by an employee and loaded into your car by them
Benefits of Using EBT at Safeway
Customers and Safeway alike benefit from the use of EBT at Safeway. Here are some of the benefits:
- You can very easily redeem your SNAP benefits without having to deal with any hassles with this system
- The EBT cards are very easy to use, even for those who have no prior experience with digital payments
- There is no need to worry about fraud with the EBT cards because the payments are completely safe and secure.
- A government database also makes it much easier for it to keep track of each individual’s spending.
Does Safeway Take EBT – FAQs
Safeway stores do accept EBT as a form of payment, both in stores and online. You have to make sure that all your shopped items fall under the category of SNAP-approved items.
For the items that are ineligible, you’ll have to opt for an alternate payment method like debit/credit card, etc.